Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chickpea Nuggets

Yummy finger food! These are shaped like chicken nuggets but have nowhere near the same texture or taste. They are very flavorful and a little soft on the inside, but hold their shape very well. I dipped them in ketchup and enjoyed every second of it. ;-)

Ingredients:

1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 of a medium sized onion
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp milled flax seed mixed with 3-4 tbsp of water
Italian seasoning to taste
Salt and pepper
Bread crumbs
Flour for dusting

Whiz the onion and garlic in a food processor or blender until it's finely chopped. Add the chickpeas and blend until the beans have broken down. Scrape mixture into a bowl and add the flax seed mixture along with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste. Add enough bread crumbs until it holds together and retains it's shape when molded. Make nugget shapes and dust lightly in flour. Fry several minutes on each side over medium heat. Dry on paper towels. Makes about 12-14 nuggets.

I haven't tried these out on my 5 year old yet. If I'm up front that it's NOT like regular chicken nuggets, he probably won't balk when he bites into one. At first I was a little shocked at the texture. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so soft, but once I got past that, they were really, really good. I have some pretty serious texture "issues" (one reason you won't see tofu recipes on here) so if I didn't gag on the soft texture, you won't either, if you're more normal than me (or at least AS normal as me).

I plan on playing around with this one a little, maybe adding vital wheat gluten to get a "meatier" texture, and probably baking them instead of frying them. Updates to come!

This recipe came from my friend, Melissa. Her daughters loved them!

1 comment:

  1. :) I've been out of town and catching up! Glad you liked them. I agree, the softness, if you have chicken nuggets in your mind is a little off putting. My girls never mentioned it though, but I told them there weren't like chicken nuggets. So hopefully that helped. We've had them several times and they love them every time. I did bake them and they don't get uniformly as crusty brown on the outside like they do with frying, but they are still yummy.

    ReplyDelete