Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Veggie Lo Mein

So I made my own seitan with high hopes for this recipe. Turns out my homemade seitan wasn't all it was cracked up to be (entirely too much soy sauce in the mix!). When I find a good homemade seitan recipe, I'll share it. For now, I'm back to the pricey packaged stuff. This would be good without any meat replacement at all though, or tofu or mock chicken if that's what you like. I picked out my seitan and just enjoyed the veggies. I have no idea where I got this recipe from, but I imagine it's fairly generic.

Ingredients:

6 oz lo mein noodles
2 tbsp sesame oil
8 oz broccoli florets
1 cup shredded or sliced carrots
1/2 cup cashew pieces
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp peanut oil
Seitan, cut into chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Using a wok or a large skillet, heat sesame oil over high heat. Add broccoli, carrots, cashews, and ginger. Stir-fry 5-7 minutes. Add the soy sauce, sesame seeds, and noodles (rinse noodles under water if they become too sticky). Toss to coat and cook 5 minutes more, stirring continuously.

I'm never satisfied with just the broccoli and carrots for a stir-fry. I think I had red bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, and onion in here. I also didn't have sesame oil so I just did peanut oil. And the meal is never complete without some spring rolls! I don't remember what brand I got, but they came from kroger and were actually pretty decent, for the frozen kind. I sprinkled my sesame seeds on last since they were already toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment