Monday, June 14, 2010

"Meaty" Ravioli

For the longest time I was craving a good, beefy ravioli, like the kind that comes in a can and is extremely unhealthy for you. As disgusting as that is, that's exactly what I wanted. I looked all over online and could not find a vegetarian or vegan version. So I got brave one day and gave it a shot and ended up pleasantly surprised! Soy meat came in handy for this one.

I've heard the best way to make ravioli is to use square won ton wrappers, but all I've found are ones with egg in them. If you are fine with egg, give that a shot and save yourself a lot of trouble!

Ingredients:

Dough:

1 cup flour (semolina or other)
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

Filling:

1/2 cup Boca crumbles
2 cups of fresh spinach, washed and shredded
Oregano and parsley to taste
Finely minced garlic and onion (optional)
Pepper to taste
1 tbsp milled flax seed
1/8 cup spaghetti sauce plus more for pouring over the top

Saute the filling ingredients over medium heat in a little oil until heated through and spinach is wilted. Let cool a few minutes, then pulse in the blender a few times to break up larger chunks and make the filling a little pasty. Put it back in the skillet and heat through again. Set aside.

Combine ingredients for the dough. Knead several times, then roll out very thin. Use more flour if needed. Use a cup to cut out circles about 4" across. Fill each one with 1-1 1/2 tbsp of filling. Fold the circle over and press the edges with a fork. Repeat until you run out of dough. Makes about 8-10 ravioli.

Boil water and cook 4-5 ravioli at a time with 1 tbsp of oil to prevent sticking. Cook 5 minutes. Strain well and top with additional sauce.

I have no idea what that little gray speck is so please ignore it. There was no gray speck in the actual finished product!

2 comments:

  1. I just found out today that the only store in town STOPPED carrying Boca. I only JUST found out how darn good it was. I can't find it anywhere withing an hour drive of me...grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks! It's such a *basic* product too! Maybe they couldn't sell enough of it. You know it's funny. I have a VERY well stocked Kroger in my small city, with tons of "vegetarian" products, but you wouldn't think the people here were eating soy meat products. We are surrounded by farm country. Chicken farms, pig farms, cattle and dairy farms...people here eat a LOT of meat. It just surprised me you know. There must be a few of us scattered around though to buy the products and make hem keep it stocked.

    ReplyDelete