Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pasta with White Beans and Zucchini

This is one of my super easy dishes when I just don't have the time or the energy for something fancier. It's loaded with nutrition, especially if you add a small salad to the side. I tried this one day after having tried a Kashi microwave dinner. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the dinner (especially for $5!) but I was able to see how well white beans and zucchini went with it, when I otherwise wouldn't have thought to combine all of these particular ingredients.

Ingredients:

8-10 oz of dry pasta
2-3 cups of homemade or jarred spaghetti sauce
1 can of small white beans, drained and rinsed
3 small or 2 medium zuchinni, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 small onion, diced


Cook pasta according to directions and drain. In a medium saucepan, heat a little oil over medium. Add onion and zucchini and cook until tender. Add sauce and beans and heat thoroughly. Spoon sauce over pasta.

I prefer whole wheat pasta. It's a little chewier, but the trade off in nutrition can't be beat. I'm much more wary of refined grains than I used to be. Since I've cut back on them, my once crazy blood sugar stabilized almost overnight. You can make it even healthier by use cooked dry beans and making your own sauce. This is my "lazy" dish though, so I just make sure to pick a jarred sauce that has very little sugar and sodium in it and never, ever high fructose corn syrup. Rinsing beans thoroughly does help with the sodium content. If you like mushrooms or squash or anything else, try adding that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment