Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mexiquinoa

Another one from 500 Vegan Recipes (great book with lots of variety!). I like Spanish rice and beans. It's a cheap, hearty meal and I like to scoop it with chips. But I prefer it with white rice (I just don't love brown, no matter how much better it is for me, sorry!) and I realize that's not very nutritious. So when I came across Mexiquinoa, I just knew I had to try it! Quinoa is a wonderful grain...rich in protein and very versatile. It has a bit of a weird texture so some people don't like that. I have texture "issues" but I can handle this one. It's not my fave, but I know I'm doing my body good when I change it up for white rice on occasion. I made 1/4 of this recipe. Who the heck needs this much quinoa? Maybe a family of 6. So if it's just 2 of you, definitely don't make more than 1/2 the recipe unless you intend to freeze some of it or just don't mind eating it for the next 3 days.

Ingredients:

4 cups water
2 cups dry quinoa
2 cups corn kernals
1 can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 4 oz can jalepeno peppers, drained
1 cup chunky salsa
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional toppings:

1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup seeded and diced tomatoes

In a sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa, return to a boil. Reduce heat a cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes, or until water has been absorbed and quinoa "tails" have unfurled. Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork, cover, and let sit 10 minutes. Combine all the other ingredietns in a large bowl. Mix quinoa in. Serve with desired toppings.

So I changed this one up just a tad too. I don't like anything very spicy. I left out the jalepenos and red pepper flakes. I also found myself without salsa, which usually lends quite a bit of flavor to a dish, so I just added a lot more seasoning and diced tomatoes. And I prefer my beans and corn and other stuff all nice and hot, so I cooked it all into the quinoa once it was done. I just didn't feel tossing it in a bowl with the hot quinoa would heat it up enough for my taste. And of course, I scoop it with corn chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment