Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chocolate Syrup

I was very sad to give up my Ovaltine when I went dairy-free. I was using Hershey's syrup for a while, until I became aware that high fructose corn syrup was not something I wanted to be ingesting. I wasn't thrilled with the flavor anyway. I came across this recipe for chocolate syrup and it is amazing! Stir it into milk or top a sundae or banana split with it. Or just eat it with a spoon. Whatever. It's still very high in sugar, so you can't go too crazy on it, but at least you can pronounce all the ingredients.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a 2 quart saucepan, mix cocoa and water with a whisk or a fork. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar and continue to stir until sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a full, rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil a full 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the salt and vanilla, stirring to blend.. Pour the syrup into a pint-sized canning jar (or anything else you have handy). Store in the fridge.


It amazes me that people think I deprive myself because I choose not to eat meat or dairy. This little sundae was delicious!

Recipe credit goes to Hillbilly Housewife.

No comments:

Post a Comment